- Spring Cleaning. It’s almost that time of year. And, well, my apartment complex has decided that spring cleaning should happen in February (we actually have annual cleanliness inspections–lolwut). So I’ve created a temporary board for ideas on getting my home to look sparkly and new. (Since I already have these pins mixed in with other random tips and tricks, I’ll probably delete this board at the beginning of summer.)
- Vine. I’ve been thinking about possibly getting into the Vine app, but I’ve heard complaints that there is a major problem with porn in the app. Basically, the app allows users to upload 6-second videos to Vine, which can then be shared on Twitter and/or Facebook. Much like on Twitter or Instagram, you can explore trending topics and hashtags (which, I’m guessing, is where people are happening upon explicit material). Since Vine has received a lot of complaints about children finding pornographic clips, Vine has changed its age restriction to 17+. (I may still get try it because it seems I may need to know how to use it as a journalist.) Available in iTunes for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad. FREE.
- We The People. The White House’s We the People site currently has a petition for President Obama to start using more inclusive language in his speeches. Specifically, the petition asks that the president “Stop using the ‘wives, mothers, & daughters’ rhetorical frame that defines women by their relationships to other people.” The petition still needs about 97,000 signatures before March 15. Sign it today and spread the word!
- Tamagotchi. Nineties kids, rejoice. Tamagotchi is back (and probably needier than ever). Sure, you won’t get to carry your digital pet around on a cool key chain, but who cares? You get your favorite little guy back (and no pesky teacher can ban you from having it)! And this time, your mom won’t have to feed it every ten minutes. Just whip out your phone and feed your pet, then get back to work–just don’t let your boss know that’s not really an important email you were checking. Available in Google Play for Android. (iTunes version is in the works.) FREE.
- Pitch Perfect. Thanks to Redbox’s Valentine’s Day code from Redbox, I rented Pitch Perfect for free last night. We’re going to watch it tonight as part of our Valentine date. (There were supposed to be two Valentine codes–I was going to rent three movies in all–but one didn’t work; that was disappointing because I wanted to rent the latest Bourne movie for Josh to watch today while I’m not home.)
- The Watch. Another freebie from Redbox. Yesterday, Redbox posted a code on Facebook to celebrate reaching 5,000 fans. We’ll also be watching the Watch tonight. (We’re both stoked about this movie.)
- Gumbo. On Fat Tuesday, my sister shared this Chicken and Sausage Gumbo recipe on my Facebook wall and told me to make it for her. I haven’t made it yet, but, although it’s no longer Mardi Gras, I still really want to try it. Obviously there will be photos if I make it.
- Spiders. Have you seen this video of the bajillion spiders raining down in Brazil? Creeeeppppyyyy! According to the Washington Post article, this isn’t uncommon. Sometimes the wind picks up these spiders (they make big webs in the sky) and when it releases them, they look like they’re just falling from the sky. So… I think I won’t be going to Brazil, like, ever.
- Dove. Have you seen this commercial from Dove? It was kind of surprising considering Dove’s Real Beauty campaign. This commercial (and the comments posted below it) presents a good discussion about a happiness tied to beauty products. I’d love to read your thoughts about this in the comments!
- Post-Valentine’s Day. Today is one of my favorite holidays: the day after Valentine’s Day. It’s a magical day when all the Valentine crafts and candies go on sale (like, 50-plus percent). It’s beautiful, really. I hope I don’t get to the store too late to rack up on some adorable Valentine sprinkles. And lots of chocolate. Because it offers lots of health benefits, and even if that list isn’t super long, it’s good enough for me.
Have any ideas for this weekly post? Send them to me via email or Facebook. Don’t forget to follow me around the web for updates you won’t see here!
Posted in Infatuation Friday
Tagged Android, Apple, blind, Brazil, Chicken and Sausage Gumbo, chocolate, digital pet, Dove, Dove commercial, Dove Real Beauty, facebook, Fat Tuesday, feminism, feminist, food, game, Google Play, Gumbo, hair dye, inclusive language, infatuation friday, Instagram, iPad, iPhone, ipod touch, iTunes, movies, petition, pin board, pinterest, pitch perfect, Redbox, sales, spiders, spring cleaning, Stop using the 'wives mothers & daughters' rhetorical frame that defines women by their relationships to other people., Tamagotchi, Tamagotchi app, Tamagotchi L.i.f.e., technology, The Watch, twitter, Valentine's date night, Valentine's Day, vine, vine app, Washington Post, We the People