Happy National Grilled Cheese Day!
I absolutely love that this is a national holiday. A grilled cheese sandwich is my second favorite comfort food, right behind macaroni and cheese. (Put them together, and I am in heaven–until I remember my mild lactose intolerance. Curse you, enzymes…)
If you’re just now discovering that today is the day to eat a grilled cheese, don’t you worry. It’s not too late to celebrate!
Make your own:
- Spinach and Artichoke Melt from Half Baked Harvest
- Tomato-Avocado Grilled Cheese from Better Homes and Gardens
- Bacon-Guacamole Grilled Cheese Sandwich from Closet Cooking
- Southwestern Cheese Panini from Eating Well
- French Onion Grilled Cheese Sandwich from The Kitchen Life of a Navy Wife
- Goat Cheese and Strawberry Grilled Cheese from Southern Living
- Hot Chile Grilled Cheese from Eating Well
- Guacamole Grilled Cheese from The Kitchen is My Playground
- Or my very own Grilled Cheese with Herbs
Buy a cheesy sandwich:
- Four Cheese Griller from McAlister’s Deli
- Grown-Up Grilled Cheese from Panera Bread
- Tomato and Mozzarella Panini from Panera Bread
- Classic Grilled Cheese from Panera Bread
- Grown-Up Grilled Cheese from Cheddar’s
- One of the local joints among Food & Wine’s Best Grilled Cheese in the U.S.
If you’re vegan, lactose-intolerant or just don’t eat dairy products, you can still celebrate, thanks to options like rice or veggie cheese. (I suggest the veggie slices. Rice cheese slices taste funny, and the shredded cheese of either variety has a weird consistency.) And I hear some restaurants offer lactose-free options as well, though you’ll have to do your research on those; I have yet to find one.
If you have a good grilled cheese recipe or know of a great place to buy a grilled cheese, I’d love for you to share in the comments.
Now, go grab two pieces of bread and some cheese and get to grilling.