Last night, I made a pretty darn spectacular grilled cheese. I definitely impressed myself. Now, I love grilled cheese anyway, but I really outdid myself this time–probably because I added tomato, and you know how much I love tomato. So I had to have it again for lunch today.
Want to make your own? Here’s what I used:
- 2 slices of Hemp yeast-free bread (from French Meadow Bakery)
- 2 slices of Kraft American cheese (though I’ll soon start using Veggie Slices instead)
- one large slice of tomato
- 1/2 clove of garlic
- 2 slices of small white onion (but sweet yellow onion would be yummy too!)
- about 1/2 teaspoon of dried basil
- about 1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano
- about 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper
And here’s how we roll: Sauté the onion and garlic in a small skillet until golden-brown. While that cooks, load up the bread with cheese (one slice of cheese on each slice of bread), tomato, pepper, oregano and basil. Once the garlic and onion have finished cooking, let them cool. Then add them to the sandwich as well. Close the sandwich, then cook each side in the skillet over butter or oil until golden brown (the Hemp bread takes a little longer than most other types of bread I’ve used, so you’ll have to be patient). Now, take a bite and enjoy!
If you tried this, let me know what you think! Did you use other ingredients? Should I have added anything else? (As always, if you have trouble leaving a comment, be sure to let me know.)